26 February 2013

My best dressed at the Oscars

Naomi Watts in Giorgio Armani | Jessica Chastain in Armani Privé | Kristen Stewart in Acra Reem Couture | Catherine Zeta-Jones in Zuhair Murad
So the Oscars happened. After being thoroughly disappointed at the fashion at the BRITs last week, I was looking forward to the Oscars hoping it would reignite my hope in celebrity style on the red carpet, and I've got to say, it did a pretty good job in doing so. I didn't love everyone's looks, but there were no looks which I hated, and that almost never happens. Jennifer Lawrence was on many 'best dressed' lists, and I admired her choice, however it wasn't for me, a bit too poofy. This was reflected in her fall up the stairs when going up to do her thanks speech, which must have been really embarrassing for her but it only made me love her even more, anyone else? She's just so imperfect she's perfect, y'know?
On to my best dressed of the night, There's not many up here, but at least there's some (again, another dig at the BRITs...). For me, Jessica Chastain came out on top, showing that pale skins can wear nude dresses and still look fabulous. The gown was amazing for her and hugged her body in all the right places. Understated but gorgeous. Plus, the shade of her lipstick is perfect with the colour of the dress. Bonus points. Moving on to Naomi Watts, I'm not usually one for sequins, especially on the red carpet, I think they can look a bit... Cheap. Saying that, Naomi approached them in a way which still made her look very expensive. The cut-out shoulder detail really gives the dress that special something and the shape is extremely flattering to her tiny figure. The hair and the subtle smoky eye topped off the whole look.
Kristen Stewart. Most likely a controversial choice, but she's actually a red carpet favourite of mine and more often than not I really admire her bold choices. I think this white lace gown is amazing on her and I really like the tulle bits at the bottom. Plus I kind of love how she's just left her hair and not done anything with her make-up... Is that wrong? Aaaand last but not least Catherine Zeta-Jones, who isn't usually a favourite. However I posted about a month back my love for Zuhair Murad's spring couture collection, and I'm so pleased someone has worn one of his amazing dresses on the red carpet. I really like it worn with the hair down and lack of jewellery except earrings. The gold and nude colours in the dress really suit her skin tone, too.

And at the Oscars after-parties:



Amanda Seyfried in Alexander McQueen | Zoe Saldana in Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci | Zooey Deschanel in Valentino | Lily Collins in Zuhair Murad

 Not only was the Oscars fashion impressive, I was as equally excited to see what everyone would be wearing to the after-parties.  Out of everyone's I think I'd have to say Zoe Saldana is my favourite as the dress is understated but sexy and elegant and I'd definitely wear it (y'know, if I got invites to these things... Which I totally do I'm just always too busy), I really like the lace with the satin fabric.  I reckon she should have worn this to the Oscars instead, that's all I'm sayin'.
Lily Collins was a close second for me, another Zuhair Murad dress.  It's a very unique gown especially as women usually opt for black or nude colours on the red carpet, so I respect her bold choice.  Blue is one of my favourite colours to wear and I think she pulled it off amazingly, plus the stripes work really well with the lace, whoda funk it?
Zooey Deschanel isn't ever really my type of style when she walks on the red carpet.  Too girlie and pretty for me, however this Valentino dress is to die for.  Stunning.
Aaaand lastly Amanda Seyfried in Alexander McQueen.  Pretty simple overall but the colour speaks volumes.  I really like the tulle skirt, too.

Who were your favourites?  Do you disagree with any of my choices?
All images from Vogue.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. Love love love this post! I agree, over all the brits were rather disappointing and fashion wise, the Oscars walked all over them! Jennifer Lawerence is an absolute legend! Her dress wasn't my taste either, but she's still utterly perf! K-stew's dress was just gorgeous, and both Lily Collins and Amanda Seyfried looked incredible in those dresses too! xxx

    ReplyDelete